OCE Discovery Social Enterprise Zone and Pitch Competition
Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE), in partnership with the Ministry of Economic Development and Growth (MEDG), will host the third Social Enterprise Zone and Pitch Competition at Discovery 2017 on May 15 and 16.
Twenty-four Ontario-based companies will be invited to exhibit their social innovation on the Discovery show floor. This will build broader awareness of the companies that exist in this niche market, provide exposure to potential private investors, and engage the entire innovation ecosystem.
Successful applicants will receive a complimentary 6×8 foot booth, two attendee passes, and travel costs covered if outside the GTA. This exclusive opportunity gives you access to experts, industry, government funders, investors, engaging keynote speakers, fascinating panel discussions, networking opportunities and an opportunity for face-to-face meetings with sector experts.
As well, the Pitch Competition will provide a platform for five- eight of the showcase companies to pitch during Discovery for a $25,000 award, including a $10,000 award from MEDG, a $5,000 award from the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and a $10,000 legal-services package from Norton Rose Fulbright to assist with the further development of their business. Participation in the Pitch Competition is completely optional. However, we encourage any business applying for the Social Enterprise Zone to consider this incredible opportunity to further expand the development of your company.
We are looking for early and growth stage, Ontario-based social enterprise ventures that meet the following criteria:
- Incorporated: Canadian Incorporated for-profit, not for-profit or cooperative organizations
- Revenue: Currently generating revenue with a growth-oriented scalable business model
- Impact: Demonstrable, measurable social/environmental impact in sectors including, but not limited to, clean technology, health and wellness, education and social technology, food and consumer products and impact real estate
- Capital: Companies should have raised in the past, or are planning to raise investment capital within the next 6-12 months
All Ontario-based companies interested in this exciting opportunity are required to submit an online application form no later than March 24 at 12:00 p.m. Companies applying for the Pitch Competition will fill out a more in-depth application and must submit a video no longer than two minutes or a PowerPoint (Pitch Deck) presentation. More info can be found in the application.
Companies will be notified by April 7, 2017.
|March 24, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.||Online application and pitch video/pitch deck are due|
|April 7, 2017||Showcase and Pitch Companies notified|
|May 15, 2017||Pitch Finalists pitch at Social Enterprise Showcase|
|May 15 and 16, 2017||Showcase companies exhibit at Discovery|
|May 16, 2017||Pitch Competition Winner is announced at the Discovery luncheon|
For Pitch Competition Applicants Only
Pitch Competition – May 15, 2017
Five to eight finalists will participate in a live pitch competition on May 15, 2017 at Discovery.
Finalists will have a maximum of 6 minutes to pitch their innovative product or service of interest to the social enterprise community and panel of judges, followed by a 3-minute question and answer period.
How Funding Works
One winner will be selected and receive an award package valued at $25,000, including $10,000 from MEDG, a $5,000 award from the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and a $10,000 legal-services package from Norton Rose Fulbright to assist with further development of their social innovation. The winning company must be willing to sign a contract confirming that they will put the award toward business development.
- Your video submission must be no longer than two minutes. If you opt to do a PowerPoint pitch deck presentation instead, it should be no longer than 15 slides.
- You must grant the competition organizers unrestricted use and reproduction rights for any purposes.
- Video and pitch deck submissions must clearly explain your elevator pitch. Please refer to the questionnaire in the online application form for information to address in your pitch.
- Your video must be uploaded to YouTube and your online application form submitted by March 24th, no later than 12:00 p.m. If you are submitting a pitch deck, please e-mail it to Emily.Kiddie@oce-ontario.org
The judging panel for the competition will include members of the investment community, leaders in the social innovation community and OCE representatives.
The Judging Panel will be announced soon.
Terms of Agreement
- All entries become the property of the contest organizers.
- Your video must not infringe upon or violate any laws or any third-party rights, including, but not limited to, copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights and must not lead to any cause of action including libel, defamation, privacy violation, contract breach or tort.
- If necessary you must obtain all necessary permissions, licenses, clearances, releases, waivers of moral rights and other approvals from third parties (including, but not limited to, all copyright holders and all individuals appearing in the video submission), necessary to use the video submission, in whole or in part, in any way, including without limitation, to reproduce, make derivatives, edit, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, license and broadcast the video submission worldwide, by any means. Any and all such permissions, licenses, clearances, releases, waivers of moral rights and approvals must be attached to the video submission.
- Each contestant must consent to the use, reproduction, publication, transmission and/or broadcasting of his/her name, address, likeness, and/or prize information, without compensation, in any advertisement, publication or promotion, for general news or other information purposes. Winners must also consent to their photographs being taken by the competition organizers for the same purposes, without further compensation.
- Each contestant irrevocably and in perpetuity grants the competition organizers, without compensation, the right to use the video submission, in whole or in part, in any way, including without limitation, to reproduce, make derivatives, edit, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, license and broadcast the video submission worldwide, by any means.
For more information on the Social Enterprise Zone or Pitch Competition, please contact:
Coordinator, Marketing & Communications
(416) 861-1092 x 1060