ventureLAB is a not-for-profit leading global founder community for hardware technology and enterprise software companies in Canada. Our organization is led by seasoned entrepreneurs and business leaders with decades of industry experience in building IP-rich start-ups, scale-ups, and global multinationals to help businesses scale. Located at the heart of Ontario’s innovation corridor in York Region, ventureLAB is part of one of the biggest and most diverse tech communities in Canada. Since 2011, ventureLAB has enabled over 2,000 tech ventures to create over 4,000 jobs and raise more than $200 million in investment capital through our initiatives focused on raising capital, talent retention, technology and IP commercialization, and customer acquisition. Together with our community of entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, and partners, we enable technology startups to accelerate the commercialization of transformational products on a global scale. ventureLAB is home to the Hardware Catalyst Initiative — Canada’s only lab and incubator for hardware and semiconductor-focused companies. At ventureLAB, we grow globally competitive tech titans that build-to-scale in Canada — for global markets.
We grow globally competitive tech titans that build-to-scale in Canada.
Born Global. Built to Scale. Inclusive by Design. Inspire a new generation of global founders who choose Canada to scale IP-rich tech titans creating innovative hardware and scale-ready enterprise software solutions that transform communities and establish a blueprint for a more sustainable, inclusive tech ecosystem.
Our Values — Team RIVIR
- Relentless: We are tenacious, resilient, resourceful, and open-minded. We follow through and remove barriers so others can succeed.
- Inclusive: We embrace diverse opinions, ideas, and perspectives to make better decisions. We empower each other to do better, we are positive, and we do not judge ourselves or others.
- Visionary: We inspire a prosperous future predicated on diversity and inclusivity for our clients, partners, and community.
- Innovative: We ensure everyone is able to contribute to new innovative ideas and strategies. We are curious and ask questions for clarity.
- Results-Driven: We are proactive and decisive. We do what we say we will do. We are accountable. We have fact-based discussions and challenge each other respectfully.
ventureLAB is made up of passionate, driven individuals, and is growing quickly. It is a fast-paced, flexible environment where individual contributors make a big difference and work collaboratively to achieve shared goals. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a Great Place to Work®.
Reporting to the VP, Venture Growth, this role manages a team of advisors and their engagement between ventureLAB and companies admitted to its initiatives. The Director, Venture Services engages with the startup founders, ventureLAB Advisors, Mentors, Venture Growth manager, Program Director, and other ventureLAB resources to create and implement unique strategies and plans to meet Venture Growth team goals. The Client Engagement Manager is responsible for key aspects of venture Growth portfolio management including defining client journeys, reporting, portfolio analysis, venture communications and advisory team engagement. The Director, Venture Services supports diverse strategic projects as needed and acts as an advocate for high-growth startups and ventureLAB in the community. They are responsible for providing leadership, prioritization and approval to all other ventuerLAB departments who want to engage with our ventures.
For the role, you will have to be:
- Committed and focused: Efficiently deliver client requests and engagements while juggling multiple projects at a time. Evaluating initiatives and services' effectiveness through key performance indicators (KPIs) and feedback from clients, advisors, mentors or other parties ensures our value equation remains high and the initiatives meet individual company needs.
- A collaborator: Ensure a collaborative ‘One Team’ approach – the road to shared success combines the energy, ideas, and execution of many - architecting value and building lasting impact through teamwork. Manage the flow of information to and from the advisory team and provide an appropriate collaborative environment to maintain an exceptional client experience.
- A Communicator: Effectively communicate and present at different levels of the organization. Provide client's voice and support decision-making in company and portfolio assessment processes to maintain a high-quality bar for stakeholders and ensure progression towards results.
- Connected: To build and maintain relationships - internal and external as it is critical to understand our team's needs, desires, and ambitions and the greater world.
- Think Big: You’ll lead a team of advisors, mentors, industry professionals to find the best, biggest ideas for high growth companies.
The Director, venture Services will:
- Enable effective engagement within the broader innovation community.
- Mentoring startup founders to maximize the value added by their participation in our programs.
- Identifying potential startups based on their potential and their founders' interest in joining an accelerator program and business opportunities with our corporate partners
- Collaborating with the Senior Leadership Team to assist in formulating ventureLAB’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Develop strategies that assist in delivering meaningful program experiences and optimizing requirements that have a direct impact on strategic business plans
- Develop and manage reporting tools for management meetings
- Provide ongoing and clear direction, performance management and career development support to the Portfolio advisory teams.
- Work closely with Venture Growth manager to deliver the defined KPIs and results for Venture Services team.
- Work closely with VP, Venture Growth to grow ecosystem of advisors, mentors and VCs to bring more value to the team and initiatives.
- Be a member of cross functional teams in the design and development of new and current service initiatives and partnerships, offering expertise from a Venture Growth perspective.
- Support and co-lead business development efforts considering corporate strategy, portfolio opportunities and risks, financing needs, and organizational capabilities.
Given your background and work experience, you are bold and can readily delve into managing internal and client-side requirements. You have the ability and desire to thrive and excel in a fast-paced, rapid growth environment.
Also, to be a successful candidate, you need to have:
- Extensive network in the innovation ecosystem and experience working with various types of startups and investors, including VCs, PEs and Angel groups in Canada and the United States.
- Advanced analytical skills and a demonstrated ability to frame and articulate the value proposition of internal opportunities to drive decision-making processes.
- Several years of startup operating experience, preferably in VC, a Venture Studio, an early-stage startup, consulting firm, or a growing technology company.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills, and the ability to build and collaborate with colleagues internally and externally.
- Excellent problem solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Self-motivated, organized and flexible.
- Discrete with a sound understanding of confidentiality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Pasion to Promote ventureLAB and its initiatives to stakeholder groups.
- Proactive and action-oriented, anticipates needs, is assertive and is highly accountable.
- Growth mindset for yourself and others; demonstrated track record of coaching and developing team members.
- The ability to develop a strong point of view combined with the openness to evolving that view based on new data;
- Excellent judgment, mature personality, and experience working with executives; a sophisticated and well-connected, worldly businessperson.
- MBA or equivalent executive-level experience
How to Apply
Apply by Friday, May 20 to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Venture Services, Director – Job ID 202210” in the subject line. Include your resume, salary expectations, and a brief note telling us why you’d be a great addition to the ventureLAB team. Early submissions are encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
In addition to salary, ventureLAB offers a comprehensive benefits package, learning and development opportunities, 4 weeks vacation, and 2 weeks holiday time in December.
At ventureLAB, we value diversity, inclusion, and respect. Diverse experience, perspectives, and backgrounds bring great ideas and create stronger teams — we embrace it, because we know that by including everyone, we all thrive. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Response to COVID-19
Effective December 1, 2021, all newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination (first and second dose) against COVID-19 of a vaccine currently approved by Health Canada or provide documentation to support an exemption based on grounds covered by the Ontario Human Rights Act (i.e. medical exemption).